Before any posts delve into unraveling the monotheist mindset, the first place to start is identifying what that exactly is. Here are a few signs I have noticed in myself and others that reflects the monotheistic mindset, especially in those ways that clash with the polytheistic worldview.
Hangups that are from monotheism include…
- Swearing with “Oh my god”, “Jesus Christ!”, and/or “Go to hell!”
- Christian gestures while praying (e.g. Sign of the Cross gesture)
- Saying “Amen” at the end of praying
- Viewing gods as all-powerful, all-knowing, all-seeing
- Viewing gods as “all good”
- Gods are always listening
- Strict good vs. evil
- The lingering fear that you’re going to hell
There are others, and I’ll update this list as other symptoms appear.
Questions to ask yourself to find other possible hangups:
- Where do your ethics derive from?
- Where do you derive your prayer etiquette from?
- Where do you get your virtues from?
- How do you view “deity”?
- How do you view your relationship with deity, and why?
These last questions are where we delve a bit deeper into how the modern monotheistic culture is different from someone trying to implement a polytheistic culture. (EG: I am trying to follow the Gaelic Polytheistic Lifeway, not a Christian one.)